Other financial support and advice

The person you care for and your household may be eligible for other financial support and advice.

Help with vehicle costs

The Blue Badge scheme provides a range of parking benefits for disabled people with severe walking difficulties who travel either as drivers or as passengers.

Vehicle tax exemption or reduction.

Council tax reduction

You may be able to apply for a Council tax discount.

  • If the person you care for lives with you and has a ‘severe mental impairment’ (eg due to dementia, Parkinson’s or severe learning difficulties).
  • If you, or the person you care for, is disabled and the house has certain features that are essential to you living there, eg an additional room or toilet exclusively needed by the person with the disability.

VAT relief for disabled people

If someone is disabled or has a long-term illness, they will not be charged VAT on products designed or adapted for their own personal or domestic use.

Money, benefits and mental health

Living with a mental health condition can make managing money more difficult. And money issues can affect mental health. The Mental Health and money website has useful information and advice.