How to get help

There are some fundamental differences in the ways in which services to support Parent Carers of children under 18 are organised in Merton. 

Contact: for families with disabled children

We suggest best general independent advice for Parent Carers is the charity Contact for families with disabled childrenThey run a free telephone helpline for Parent Carers in any part of the UK with a disabled child from birth to 25.  Your child can have any disability or special need, and you do not have to have a diagnosis. 

A full list of matters their advisors can support with can be found on helpline page of their website.
Helpline: 0808 808 3555 Monday to Friday 9.30am – 5pm.

Other local sources of support for Parent Carers

You may be entitled to a Parent Carer Needs Assessment.

You can also access Merton’s Local Offer which is a directory of services for children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in Merton.

The Merton Family Hub may also be able to help. The Merton Family Hub is a place where families and young people can access the support, help and advice they need, for all stages of family life. As the purpose of the hub is to connect families and young people with access to help, when and where they need it, the Merton Family Hub will not be one single place. Instead, it will be made up of a mix of Family Hub buildings, online information and other sites such as Children’s Centres, Youth Centres and Libraries.