Parent Carer Needs Assessments

If you are a Parent Carer of a child with a disability you are entitled to an assessment of your own needs.  This is called a Parent Carer Needs Assessment (PCNA).

In practice, an assessment of your needs, and the needs of any other adults or children in the family, will be combined with an assessment of your child with a disability.  However, you do have the right to ask for an assessment of your needs separately from that of your child, if you wish.

The assessment should discuss the help you need to look after your child, and also your own wellbeing, including:

  • personal dignity and respect
  • physical and mental health and emotional well-being
  • protection from abuse and neglect
  • participation in work, education, training or recreation
  • social and economic well-being
  • domestic, family, and personal relationships
  • suitability of living accommodation
  • the individual’s contribution to society.

If the Social Worker does not ask questions about any of these areas, and you feel they are areas where you need support, then you should feel confident to raise them during the assessment.

If you would like to request an assessment of your needs you should contact the Children with Disabilities Team at Merton Council.