Benefits available for Adult Carers

You, or the person you care for may be entitled to certain benefits depending on your circumstances.

Carers Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is a benefit to top up the income of carers. If you spend time looking after a partner, relative or friend who has an illness or disability, you may be able to claim it.

  • You need to care for someone for at least 35 hours a week.
  • The person you care for has to be getting certain benefits (for example, Personal Independence Payment – daily living component, Disability Living Allowance – the middle or highest care rate or Attendance Allowance)
  • You do not have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

You can find out more and apply online on the Government website.

Carer’s Credit

Carer’s Credit is a National Insurance credit that helps with gaps in your National Insurance record.

You could get Carer’s Credit if you are caring for someone for at least 20 hours a week.

Other benefits you may be entitled to

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs.  It can also help with housing costs. You may be able to get it if you are on a low income, out of work, or you cannot work.

Pension Credit gives you extra money to help with your living costs if you are of state pension age and on a low income. Pension Credit can also help with housing costs such as ground rent or service charges.

Benefits for the person you care for

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a tax-free benefit for people aged 16 or over who have not reached State Pension age. It can help with the extra costs caused by long term ill-health or a disability. Personal Independence Payment is gradually replacing Disability Living Allowance for adults with long-term ill health or a disability. The Mental health and money website has information about PIP for people with mental health issues.

Attendance Allowance is a tax-free benefit for people who are of State Pension age or over, have a disability and need someone to help look after them.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) helps with living costs if someone is unable to work due to a disability or health condition.