Maximising income


You can use the online benefit checker on the Government website to see whether your family is receiving all the benefits to which you may be entitled.

Merton Welfare Benefits Service can help and advise you on a wide range of benefits.  

Welfare Benefits Service
2nd floor, Merton Civic Centre
London Road
Morden SM4 5DX

Telephone: 020 8545 4178
Fax: 020 8545 3690

Disability Living Allowance – If you are caring for a child with a disability under 16 they may be eligible for Disability Living Allowance.  Details of how to apply can be found on the government website.

The charity Contact for families with disabled children have a useful section on their website in relation to benefits.

The charity Working Families has a section on benefits particularly for Parent Carers on parental leave or considering having to give up work to care for their child with a disability.

Work and Caring

It can be very challenging to find or to continue work when caring for a child or children who have a disability.  Amongst the many issues Parent Carers face, include unlawful discrimination when seeking child care for their child with a disability.  As a Parent Carer you have a right to work if you wish to do so, and should be supported to do so. 

The charity Working Families provides useful information about working whilst caring for a disabled child.  If you face a specific difficult situation at work there is a helpline 0300 012 0312 or you can use their online form to seek advice. Working Families has an excellent guide ‘Balancing Work and Caring’ which provides useful tips and information on your legal rights at work.

If you have a child with a disability you also have a right to ask the Local Authority to carry out an assessment of your needs, especially if your circumstances change (for example, if you want to start work or increase your hours).